Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Curbside Mantel

I'm a teacher and leave pretty early in the morning to head to work. About a month ago as I was driving out of our neighborhood, I noticed two pallets on the curb with a "FREE" sign. Um, yes please. I called my husband and asked if he could rush down there and grab them (before any other crazy pallet lady saw them). As awesome as he is, he hopped in the car and drove down. To his surprise there were other curbside goodies to be had, a bundle of scrap wood tied neatly with twine. Weeks passed and then the creative lightbulb went on. I'm going to build a mantel! We have two fireplaces in our new home and zero mantels. Hanging stockings this year was pretty tricky.
I had pinned a great mantel idea from Pinterest that was my inspiration. Let's just say that one took way more engineering skills than ours. We totally winged it. With a handful of tools we went to work. That list included: tape measure, table saw, nail gun borrowed from my brother-in-law and sand paper. 

First step: Make the top and bottom. Easy peasy.
Step Two: Add the front. 

 Step Three: Watch your husband laugh at you and give you that "it's not going to work" look. Then miracles happened and we made a mantel.
There are a ton of discrepancies in this but we just call it 'character'. This is straight from the curb, not Restoration Hardware. Cost: $0


No comments:

Post a Comment